Sunday, March 27, 2011

Becoming an Entrepreneur: Change of Direction

How I got here

Almost two years ago I started my undertaking to make games for the appstore. The main reason for this was that I always wanted to make games for a living and the appstore surely made the impression that this was possible. I was also a bit frustrated with my day job back then and I had this shiny iPhone 3G in my pockets that wanted more attention. So yes, the time was right.
That's when I started working on my first to be published game ever with my friend Markus. Roughly 4 months later we launched the game.
It got some good coverage around the internet and was featured by Apple but after all it didn't really sell enough to cover the costs. Also I moved from New Zealand back to Germany which basically meant that whatever budget I had was gone. Since then I still work on games but most of the time i'm busy contracting to make a living. This brings me to the status quo where i spend about 80% of my time in contracting and 20% in making my own apps while 98% of my income still comes from contracting.

Photo by Mr__Fox: "Sailing in the Fog"


Becoming an Entrepreneur
Besides just making games cause i enjoy doing it, more generally put, i want to become an entrepreneur and use my own creativity and work on my own projects. So how do I get there?
I could just work a few months on another app and hope that this will change my time and income ratio towards my goal to become an entrepreneur.
But is that the quickest and most reliable way to reach my goal? Is that my strongest suit? While thinking about this question I realized that there are other possibilities to use my skillset that might get me quicker to my goal. The answer I came up with was:

Creating tools and components for iOS Development

Inspired by @gaminghorror with his line-drawing starter kit and Dr. Touch with his Parts Store I decided to change the direction of my business for a while and focus on creating tools and components to make a living and help other developers to accelerate their app development process.

Introducing ultramarine-ui

I spend quite a bit of time in the past weeks on my new site ultramarine-ui.com that will be the home of my components. While the main focus right now is on UIKit view components i'm also thinking about creating some tools to speedup iOS game development. There's a tool for cocos2d i have in mind but more about that in another post.

First components

The first component i'm selling is a teaser view with nice animations that is great to showcase a set of products. On top of that i built another component - a more-apps view - for iPhone apps that uses this teaser component to showcase a set of apps. I guess a few people will find that the price tags are quite high but I had a look on other sites selling source components and i didn't feel like dumping the price on my first day so please bear with me.


Free & Open Source Software

Even though i haven't got anything free for download on my site right now i will definitely look into releasing some components for free or putting something on github.


Let me know what you think about my new site and the new direction. Would be great to get some feedback.
(In case you are interested in my components you can follow me and/or @ultramarineui for occasional product updates).

14 comments:

  1. I'm practically on the same route: I'm working on an unique tool for Corona SDK (http://leveleditor.karnakgames.com) and a book for it too.

    I know I haven't worked enough on my games yet nor I have started making the "game I want to play", but making these steps help raise funds to pursuing making own games.

    Good work and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alfred.
    I've been reading about your plans and will definitely check out your leveleditor if i find some time to play with corona.
    Sounds like a really nice tool.
    It doesn't really come out in my post but once I have a bit more stable cash flow or bigger budget I will definetely pursue my game developing career.
    All the best with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the club - and let's hope we don't get competitors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The App Store is the modern day 1849 California gold rush, and just like that gold rush there were a lot of people who thought they were going to make their fortune based on the epic and rare successes of others.

    And just like that gold rush, a whole cottage industry rose up to support it, and those people that supplied the picks, axes, gold pans, etc, were the ones that really got rich!

    Those that do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you too, Christian.
    And the dev-tools master is here too, Andreas Loew :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your link above (http://ultramarine-ui.com/) fails to load.

    "Something went wrong while loading config.ru"

    As a developer, this might not reflect well on the tools provided ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Joseph, dammit! Beat me to it.

    To sum up, the smart play during a gold rush is to sell the picks and shovels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments guys!
    I'll better get to it then and make some more pickaxes! =)
    Also i think i need to have a word with my webserver...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christian, thank you to share your experience!
    Can i ask you how many copies of marine-ui you sold until now ? I find the price slightly high too, so i'm really curious to know if there're developers how are willing to pay these amounts of money for a component.
    Thank you again
    Yari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yari,
    please forgive me but i'm new to this and don't think it's too wise to start posting numbers just now. If you have a look at the sites i have mentioned in my article you will find that both sites have "number posts" which might satisfy your curiosity.
    Thanks for your opinion about the prices though. When the time comes i will definitely blog about how my new direction is working out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Christian, you're right, i have been a little cheeky :) I checked numbers from sites you suggested :P
    About the price, i think it's due (and completely justified) to the realease of sources.
    Thank you again for your post :)
    Yari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shame about that missing link above. Now I have no clue about what you're offering... Perhaps you should set yourself a deadline ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A more generous deadline would have been good, yes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great that you decided to enter entrepreneurship. I think most workers dream of having their own business in the future. That's also my goal in life: to have a self-sustainable business for me and my family. Good luck on your business and I wish you more success.

    ReplyDelete